Welcome to the 2014-15 school year at Jamestown School District, where you will notice that things are changing! We are in a year of transition. After 15 years of dedicated service, Diane Dotson, Superintendent, retired on June 30. The Board of Trustees selected me to be Superintendent and Mrs. Tessa Pelfrey to be the new principal. Mrs. Pelfrey has served as a teacher at Jamestown School for 24 years and has many fresh and exciting ideas for change.
The new required Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) gave us an opportunity to hear from parents, teachers, classified staff, and community members about how we could improve our school district. We listened and the result is the many changes you will notice this year. Some of the changes you will notice are:
· A new discipline policy and procedures
· A Positive Behavior Support (PBS) program that includes character education
· A PTO resurgence with Mrs. Dan Pennisi, PTO President and her Board planning dozens of activities for parents, children, and community to be involved in the school
· New standards-aligned report cards
· New math curriculum aligned to Common Core Standards and requiring different teaching strategies
· Coffee Mondays once of month with the principal
· The beginning of a master plan for school beautification
· A Parent Resource Center in the Jamestown school library with internet connection
· New curriculum for English Learners and struggling students
· Increased support for English Learners and their families
· A math intervention specialist
· New teachers in the middle grades
· A Science room for use of all students
· Upgraded technology with a 3 year plan of 1:1 computing in all classrooms
· An expansion of the mosaic mural
· An expanded Peer Mediation program
· More assemblies and events
· More visibility in the community
The Hallmarks of Jamestown School District are still in place. You’ll continue to be see and have access to a dedicated and caring staff, Highly Qualified (HQ) teachers, the Jamestown Family Resource Center, a small intimate family-oriented campus at Chinese Camp, a compassionate and thoughtful Board Of Trustees, counseling—both school and family—a full sports program, art and music programs for all students, an award winning after-school program, and a healthy made-from-scratch breakfast and lunch program.
We’re a work in progress. We want to hear you suggestions on how we can continue to improve the Jamestown School District. I invite you to send me an email (email@example.com), give me a call (209-984-4058) or come in to see me in the district office.